Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Oh, poo.

Our very own Mrs. Preggers went into labor today. Almost two weeks early, and, most importantly, before I could bestow upon her my gift for her dear little Cletus (now very nearly a baby). Luckily, Mr. Preggers, esq. (I'm going to have to start calling them something else) works here, too, so I can pass it on to him. But can I trust him with the washing instructions? Hmmm.....

It started with a sweater. I knew as soon as I heard about the pea in her pod that I wanted to make him the Child's Placket-Neck Pullover in Joell Hoverson's Last-Minute Knitted Gifts, and I did (I've had it ready for months). I used a burnt orange Alpaca/Silk blend, and I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

When I thought I had lucked into a batch of the perfect denim yarn for the Baby's Denim Drawstring Pants (I think it's been more of a curse) I decided to knit those, too. When I found out that it was too thick to follow the pattern as written, I carefully adapted it so the finished piece would match the measurements on the diagram. All was well until I measured it after removing it from the dryer...it had hardly shrunken at all! I was planning on telling Mrs. Preggers to give it another wash in hot water to shrink it down some more. I'm still crossing my fingers.

I had a bit of yarn left over after finishing the pants, so I added a hammer loop. Of course I had to make a little hammer to go in it. Yay to me for having both brown and grey wool, and boo to the yarn for not shrinking enough in felting for it to be more than just slightly smaller than the baby's leg will probably be.

At least I can chalk it all up to experience.

No comments: